Clams in White Wine
- 75ml olive oil
- 1 small dried red chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 dessertspoon plain flour
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 1 kg small clams or pipis, soaked in salted water for 30 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chilli and bay leaf. Allow the oil to become infused with the flavours of the chilli and bay leaf for a few minutes, but do not burn.
- Add the onion to the oil and cook till soft. Stir in the flour and saffron. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil.
- When boiling, add the clams. Continue cooking till all clams have opened (discard any that do not). Serve straightaway.